Interstate and international custody disputes are highly complex. The Santa Monica area international child abduction lawyers at Trabolsi & Levy, LLP have handled:
- Child abductions
- Wrongful detention (refusal to return a child to the U.S. after a visitation abroad)
- Legitimate interstate custody disputes under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA)
- Asylum cases in which an abused child is kidnapped to the U.S.
- Petitions for international or cross-country parent relocation
- Custody modifications in which parents live in separate states or countries
The Hague Convention of 25 October 1980 on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction is a multilateral treaty that expressly addresses international abductions and specifies remedies. Nonetheless, there is considerable red tape and there are some countries that are not signatories to the treaty where the Hague Convention does not apply. The experienced international child abduction lawyers in Santa Monica at Trabolsi & Levy, LLP have handled these complex cases. We are familiar with the technical legal issues, emergency hearings and government relations commonly involved. We can act swiftly to prevent unauthorized removal, and we know the channels and protocols to bring a child back to California after a kidnapping by the non-custodial parent. The international child abduction lawyers in Santa Monica at Trabolsi & Levy, LLP make sure that every detail is covered to end our client’s ordeal as quickly and smoothly as feasible.